Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Potpourri of thoughts...

I started a new advertising campaign with postcards to previous customers. The postcard stated that I am expanding my business and the services I provide. One of my repeat family customers asked if I would still be willing to come out to their home to take pictures of the family. While I am working diligently on purchasing and building my in-home studio, I will still go on location just about anywhere in the Twin Cities metro. I love the change of venues, and am happy to continue providing on-location service.

Beyond that, I've been super busy solving the little problems that creep up with creating an in-home studio. Today's mission was figuring out how to block incoming light and reflected light from a sliding glass door. It was like having a giant mirror in the room with how much light it would return - not good when I want moody, dark, dramatic portraits. But, I found the solution. Wal-mart had long light-blocking suede drapes. No light gets through at all! And, very little if any gets reflected. Good find! I could use a mannequin...

Because I'm not ready to post any new stuff from the studio quite yet (still working it all out), here's one of the boys I took recently at Minnehaha. The newspaper ended up being a delightful prop. I was really bummed on this shoot, though. We were in a hurry to make it out the door at meet my husband. I packed light.. just one camera, 2 lenses, 1 battery, 1 CF card (I usually am overloaded with stuff). My camera battery, which read as fully charged, completely died after 3 shots. Defective! I'm so fortunate that I grabbed Ron's compact point-and-shoot... else I would have missed it all. Never again will I leave with 1 battery, not even if it's just my own kids. I've wanted to do a reshoot with my SLRs, but the timing and weather, and moods haven't all aligned.

No comments: