Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Faster than a 6th grader?

Way back in junior high, in the town I grew up, the choices for girls sports were limited. In 6th grade, it was basketball or cross country. While I love sports, I don't like running much. My mother encouraged me to do cross country with my brother. I made it through the whole season, improving from 10 minute miles to my fastest time of 7:52. It took a huge amount of effort.

Tonight, I had to re-test for boot camp. We started out with the mile. Six weeks ago, I ran it in 8:07.. which was easily 30 seconds faster than I had been running it all summer. Tonight, 7:52. I'm as fast as a 6th grade me ever was. Woo! It's probably only the second time in my life I broke an 8 minute mile. Now, if I could just stop replacing those calories I'm burning so quickly....

No comments: