Saturday, October 11, 2008

Investing in myself...

I've been doing some soul-searching... or in my case, stressing myself out worrying about the future. The photography business has been a blast, but at this point, it's basically enough to cover my increasing equipment desires. In 2 years, my boys will both be in school.

What would I do with myself to contribute to the family budget and retirement? I definitely need to keep busy - I know this about myself. So the obvious options are to go back to teaching high school, or to dive into photography full force. After lots of thinking and talking to my support network, I've decided to go full force for photography. I'll increase my advertising and workload over the next 2 years since I'm still home with the boys. I'll also take the next few years building up my studio (props, backdrops, you could literally spend a fortune on this stuff) and then really hit it hard in 2 years. I'm so excited now that I've made a decision.

Now that there's been a decision, I didn't mind investing more in studio equipment. I've bought some new studio monolights after researching on my own and talking to Kyle at West Photo. Photogenic monolights are on the way. I'll be ordering reflectors and other small necessities soon. I'm looking forward to making better use of the equipment I had before and these new additions. Woohoo! If nothing else, I'm doing my part to stimulate the economy :-)

No comments: