Monday, July 21, 2008

Duluth Camping and Air Show

It's been whirlwind busy since returning from Arkansas. In the car on the way home from Arkansas, Ron and I were researching upgrades from tent camping. I love my family, but 4 of us on 1 mattress itching at poison ivy reactions just wasn't fun. Plus, I'm a huge water drinker. To have to get up, put on shoes, walk across the campground in the dark to find a bathroom gets old. So, all the reasons to upgrade the equipment. We found an ad on Craigslist for a used pop-up camper (with bathroom). We called the ad placer, and went to see the camper before even dropping our stuff at home. My logic was that we knew we were going to Duluth. If we're going to get a camper anyway, let's get it before Duluth. And so, we did.



So, we go to Duluth with the pop-up. Driving up was no problem. I like to drive, and the camper in any drive gear. I hadn't driven it at all in reverse. I couldn't see Ron, I couldn't hear Ron (binging parking aid on my car that until day 2, I didn't know how to disable)... plus, a Santa Claus looking fellow who came out of wherever he was hiding to be my audience. Nice! I used to listen in amazement at my dad - who had a few hot-button, temper raising guarantees - trying to launch the boat. My mild mannered mom with her hands in the air, would get frustrated. I was there. I am my parents ~ well, at least when it comes to driving in reverse with the trailer. Ron had some limited practice, and after a dozen attempts, he got the trailer lined up on the narrow, but level gravel driveway. Anyhow, after getting back to sanity, I got this photo of the sunset over the St. Louis River, which was 12 feet from the end of the trailer.



We were in Duluth to see the Air Show. I'm glad we had tickets for Sunday, as Saturday was cold and rainy. The one bonus is that an old friend had set us up with some used Marine-issued Goretex camouflage rain coats. Not sexy, but totally functional. Many the other tourists were soaked downtown, and there were at least 2 umbrellas blown inside out. Not us, as we were warm, dry, content. On Sunday, the weather cleared and we were treated to quite a show. Note that I tend to be more mesmerized by the US Navy's Blue Angels. They fly in formation with 18 inches of separation from the neighboring plane. Honor, courage, commitment, and GUTS!





No comments: