Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Day After the Perfect Day

The day after a 7 hour wedding, I'm usually pretty sore. Most of the time, I'm carrying 20 lbs. of gear on my shoulders or around my neck. My thumbs get tired from supporting the cameras all day. The squatting to get the right angle sometimes trashes my legs. Not this time! It was the first time ever after a wedding that I didn't wake up sore.

The difference: swimming. My local community center had a contest to swim around the perimeter of the city (almost 30 miles) in laps in the pool (35 laps to a mile). Laps were accumulated over 30 days from mid-April to mid-May. This "Swim Around the Grove" competition was sort of casual. Record laps on the wall, anyone can do it, and at stake... a t-shirt. Sure, sign me up! I'm all about the free shirt. Really, I just wanted to see if I could do it. Call it my competitive side, call it curiosity, call it what you like. I made my goal by swimming 1 1/2 miles pretty regularly.

Since the contest ended, I'm still swimming over a mile 3-4 days a week. My upper body build has changed, but I didn't realize how much until not being sore this morning. Woohoo!

No comments: